As a young man that grew up in a lower-middle income household, inspiration came quite easily. My father, a father of four children, worked his entire life to provide for his family. Most days leaving before dawn and coming home well into the night, turning around and doing it all over again the next day. Working twelve hours each day, and into the weekend, to make certain anything I asked for, was available, regardless of the utility of stupidity. To this day he is someone that I admire wildly and would love to be as strong of a person as he once was, and is today. Also,teachers in school that went above and beyond to make certain that I succeeded; Mrs. Robinson, Mr. Barrett, and countless other made certain I knew I was worth more than just the label and stigma that came with being a Hispanic kid on the west side of the Salt Lake Valley.
But today, we spend some much of our time sitting in front of the television, and I cannot tell you I have not been inspired by much of the world that is displayed through that window. As a father now, I've had a hard time finding anything or anyone that I can stand by my boys and say "That is a hero" or even just say "That is someone that you and I can admire".
However, there are some things/people that can and will inspire me as a person. Now, in a capitalist nation everyone is out to "make a buck" so-to-speak, but a television program has caught my attention week after week. Extreme Makeover - Home Edition has been a wonderful and wholesome show to watch as a father and as a person. Their goal is simply to help those in need, but also to help those who help others. In essence to give a new home to those who "Pay if forward". As I watched portions of it tonight, I cannot describe how little I feel that I don't give more back to my community, and that I'm somewhat lazy and selfish in not giving more. So as a very late new-years resolution, it's my turn. I hope I can keep this resolution at least this one time, and for years to come.
Another inspiration that people in my neighborhood, city, state, and family my not agree with, is a presidential candidate.
Now, I don't tout myself as a political pundit, but I've read enough to really like Obama. To read his work in The Audacity of Hope, to read through some of his literature, and to listen to the man speak, it is truly inspirational. I cannot say it enough, that is inspiration is something that has been acquired through a lot of reading, listening and simply working on understanding the true nature of this gentleman. So to anyone, learn for yourself, the facts after that make up your mind, not with simply listening to a bunch of rhetoric being spouted in the media, but with diligence and an open mind.
Personally speaking, I think I can easily be man of my faith, and still look at this candidate with great pride and admiration. Though our views may differ, our HOPE is still the same.
Thank you for letting me speak, Marco
Sunday, April 27, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment